Ugali: (corn mush, similar to grits with a thicker consistency)
- 1 Cup of fine-grind Cornmeal
- 2 cups of water
- Combine in a pot on the stove
- Boil until the mixture has reached a thick consistency and will not slide out of the pot if you tip it.
Zigni: (a traditional spice stew)
Ingredients for stew:
- 1 block of extra firm tofu
- 1 large white onion
- 2 bell peppers
- 1 large can of crushed or diced tomatoes
Spice mix (berbere):
- 1 tablespoon of paprika
- 1 tablespoon of cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon of cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Pan fry onions with a bit of chopped garlic and oil. Add tofu and peppers, cook until peppers are soft and tofu is warmed through.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the spice mixture (less if you don’t want it too hot, more if you like some good heat. I used about 2 and 1/2 tablespoons, and I like good hot food)
- Mix it up, add the can of tomatoes.
- Let it simmer until it has reached your desired consistency, serve overtop of some ugali!!
Enjoy 🙂 This is a healthy, balanced, protein rich and low-fat meal. It’s also really filling and delish!!!!